March 20, 2015
The Twitterverse this week was filled with #SXSW announcements, new social platforms and features and a hearty amount of best practices and advice I loved reading. Here are my favorites!
- Meerkat Makes Its Debut – The live-streaming iOS app has been called “the breakout app of SXSW” and yet has already faced several ups and downs in its first week. Issues included privacy, a shut-down from Twitter and several critiques over “parasite apps.” We’ll be watching the adoption closely, but remembering other possibilities – like live streaming from Google Hangouts to YouTube.
- Facebook Financials – As peer-to-peer payment systems become more popular, Facebook is diving into the fray and offering the option to pay others through Facebook messenger. It’s free to use and seems simple and secure. More to come as it rolls out in the U.S. over the coming months.
- Twizzler Challenge Takes Off – It’s been…interesting… to watch the #TwizzlerChallenge unfold. It’s yet to be seen if this will indeed be the new #IceBucketChallenge, but with a few high-profile celebrities already participating, the charity-focused stunt is gaining a bit of ground for the autism cause.
- Bacon and Eggs – It’s just too cute of a campaign to ignore. I loved watching theweb videos featuring Kevin Bacon promoting incredible eggs.
- News You Can Use – It’s nice to see that in the latest study from American Press Institute, 85% of millennials “say keeping up with the news is at least somewhat important to them.” The overall learning was that instead of seeking out news (e.g. reading a newspaper) this generation is more interested in letting the news come to them (for example, with Twitter).