July 3, 2014
Here are some of my favorite finds from this holiday week:
- After heartbreak, comes work!: Where were you during Team USA’s loss to Belgium? According to some reports, you most likely were not at work. Yahoo Finance estimates that 14 million tuned into the heartbreak, losing US companies well over $680 million. Ouch!
- And speaking of work…:Apparently now that we have plenty of time on our hands, we can dive into some research. Check out this list Top 10 Social Media Research Studies for Public Relations Professionals by the Institute for Public Relations.
- Happy Second of July?: Did you know that Americans began celebrating Independence Day as early as 1777 but it didn’t become an official holiday until 1870? Also, the Declaration of Independence wasn’t declared on July 4th but rather it’s the day that it was published. The Continental Congress voted for independence on July 2nd. It took nearly 2 months to get all 56 signatures on the dotted line.
- And nothing says celebration quite like Hot dogs and beer: That’s right, did you know that Americans consume more beer (24 million cases) and more hot dogs (155 million) on the Fourth of July than any other day of the year. If you prefer something more on the sweet side, you can celebrate with Nabisco’s latest offering – an Oreo Creme Filled Chewy Chips Ahoy Cookies.
- Some other interesting finds: Girls Rule because…they never stop working…they travel in packs and they are poised to take over the world!…Selfies are all the craze but you may want to think twice before posting online because…well we all had all a Myspace account…How the O.J. Simpson murder trial 20 years ago changed the media landscape.