February 23, 2018
For one short moment this week, it was actually warmer in Chicago (64°F) than Phoenix, Ariz. (59°F) – giving LCWAers a brief taste of spring. Now that we’re back to reality, how do we deal with freezing winter temperatures? One word – carbs. Fortunately for us, social media delivered this week, with tasty holidays like #National Cherry Pie Day and #National Margarita Day for us to indulge in. Here’s what else whet our appetites online this week:
- Oval Office Antics – It’s no surprise that the leaders elected to our nation’s top position have other superlatives that make them stand out. From the president that played the most musical instruments (6) to the president who gained the most weight in office (50 lbs.), some of their accomplishment are more boast-worthy than others! The History Channelcommemorated Presidents’ Day with this fun video of presidential trivia.
- KFC Crisis – One thing not on our plates this week? KFC’s famous fried chicken. Due
to a shipping and logistics error, KFC restaurants throughout the U.K. were forced to close, and let’s just say, the Brits did not keep calm and carry on. #KFCCrisis trended worldwide, as would-be patrons were forced to eat elsewhere, reaching a fever-pitch with police and local officials urging the public to not to call emergency services regarding the matter. For what it’s worth, KFC’s PR response has received high marks by admitting their mistake, and adding a dash of humor.
- Everybody In – With opening day at Wrigley Field just a month away, the Cubs gave fans another reason to get excited with a new slogan for the year – #EverybodyIn –
paying homage to the connection the team has fans across the world. On Thursday, fans in Chicago were treated to free Garret Popcorn in Daley Plaza, as well as a chance to win free tickets, giving the Loop a distinctly Wrigleyville vibe.
- Margarita Madness – National Margarita Day in February? Why not. There’s no reason to wait until May to enjoy this round-up of tasty tequila concoctions.
- Go for the (Fashion) Gold – The world of figure skating is filled with rules and regulations, but for commentators and former Olympians Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir, there’s only one: never wear the same outfit twice. With Closing Ceremonies this weekend, say goodbye to PyeongChang with a look back at this pair’s most dazzling outfits.
Have a wonderful weekend!