July 27, 2012
It’s Olympics Opening Ceremonies Day (also known as Friday), and this week we’ve had one eye on social media and one on London. Check out our favorite finds below to get the scoop on the social impact of the games to date and brush up on Twitter following and posting recommendations.
- Social Media Olympics: This term is raging across social spheres this week, as experts weigh in on how social media will impact the athletes, brands and fans involved. Need to get up to speed at a Gold medal pace?
- #London2012, #Olympics and #TorchRelay are consistent top trends on Twitter already
- The official London 2012 Facebook page, has a 835,000+ likes and a 34.1% Rate of Engagement, a medal-worthy RoE for any page over 100,000
- Major sponsors have created some killer social media extensions to maximize sponsorship; typically using the social media power of athletes
- Athletes beware – Greece lost a teammate this week due to unacceptable Twitter conduct
- Some experts believe sponsors are still under utilizing their own social networks – will they step it up once competition is underway?
- Winning Twitter Teams: Mashable called out the 25 top athletes to follow on Twitter during the Olympics. This expertly crafted collection from around the world isn’t necessarily representative of the most followed athletes yet, but wait till the games begin! If you operate in the home and design arena, like us, you’ll also love their list of top Home & Garden Tweeters.
- Speaking of Tweets: For a Twitter posting strategy that is gold-medal worthy (sorry, we couldn’t help it!), check out this infographic on strategies for maximizing a business’s impact on Twitter.