October 19, 2012
From an out-of-this-world freefall to a momentous mobile milestone, it was a week of setting and breaking records — and 50 emerged as everyone’s lucky number! Here are some of our favorite stories from the past seven days:
- Free Fallin’: Austrian daredevil Felix Baumgartner successfully completed a 24-mile free fall to set a new – and likely not-soon-to-be-challenged – world record. In case you missed it, you can relive it here courtesy of some great video posted by Outside Magazine.
- Fabulous at 50: National retailer Target celebrated its 50thanniversary this week with a big bash featuring Alicia Keys.
- Mobile Milestone: According to TechCrunch.com, the number of Smartphones in use around the world has officially surpassed the one billion mark. It’s taken 16 years but analysts believe it will only take three more years for the next billion users to come on board.
- The End of an Editorial Era: The big news in media came from Newsweek which announced plans to move to a digital-only format. After nearly 80 years of publication, the news magazine will publish its final print edition at the end of this year.
- Crazy but True: Ragan’s PR Daily reported this week on a new study that shows writers have higher risk of mental illness. We always new PR folks were a little crazy, but now there’s proof!