March 15, 2013
- Hashtags coming to Facebook? Facebook is looking to improve its search and indexing capabilities by adding the hashtag symbol, one of the most recognizable features of its social networking rival Twitter, according to media reports. The introduction is not imminent, but reports are that it’s being considered.
- The demise of Google Reader. Many sad “Reader-ites” are looking for a new RSS Reader option after Google announced that it is shutting down Google Reader.
- Facebook ‘likes’ shed light. Researchers can accurately and automatically predict sensitive personal traits of people on Facebook by analyzing the patterns of “Likes,” according to recent reports.
- Pinterest becomes measurable. Pinterest launched web analytics to track popular content – great news for those of us who want to follow what’s popular on the social media channel.
- Animals take the spotlight. Eyes were glued on the Vatican this week during the Papal Conclave, but a seagull perched on the chimney briefly become an Internet sensation as it trended on social media – while at SXSW, Grumpy Cat was the breakout star.