June 7, 2013
Happy Friday! This week brings a competitive edge to the world of social media – from challenges posed to existing platforms by new ones entering the game to personal vs. virtual wedding planning. Here are our favorite media stories for the week:
- Let the Battle Begin – Soon to be a trending hashtag, #GameofConesis a collaboration between HBO and Foursquare that will pit the east coast against the west coast. Between June 7-21, users check-in at select ice cream shops in NYC and San Francisco with the hashtag. The shop with the most check-ins will win the Iron Cone! (What exactly that is remains a mystery.)
- The Perfect Pinterest Picture – Wired magazine reports that a research team has determined the six characteristics of a popular Pinterest post. Chef Paula Deen’s “Aunt Peggy’s Cucumber, Tomato and Onion Salad” is the ideal image, having generated the most engagement.
- LinkedIn May Have Some Competition – The Wall Street Journal is set to launch WSJ Profile, a social networking site that resembles LinkedIn, allowing users to create resume-based profiles.
- Weddings Go Digital – Are wedding planners and photographers becoming obsolete? NBC News reports that brides are turning to social media for their Big Day.
- TweetDeck Gets a Major Makeover – Twitter launched the redesigned TweetDeck, creating a more user-friendly menu and an interface that resembles dashboard competitors like HootSuite.