November 13, 2015
Happy Friday the 13th! As we wrap up this week on a superstitious note, here are some of my favorite stories from around the web:
- Freaky Friday: The official term for the fear of Friday the 13th is Friggatriskaidekaphobia, but this is only one of many interesting facts about this bad luck holiday.
- Tis the Season: The notorious Starbucks holiday cups were in the news this week when people claimed that Starbucks tried to start a war against Christmas after the company opted for a sleek red cup design without traditional holiday motifs. Meanwhile, Target received critiques for its “Obsessive Christmas Disorder” sweater and Bloomingdales left many wondering how its new holiday ad even got published.
- Pinterest Update: Pinterest got an update and now offers a visual search function, which allow users to focus in on something specific within a photo to find similar pins. Launched just in time for the holidays, Pinterest is hoping that this new tool will help to increase the visibility of buyable pins while pinners are browsing for décor and gift inspiration.
- YouTube Music: YouTube jumped on the music-streaming bandwagon with the announcement of its new service. With both a free and paid version, YouTube Music is now the newest competitor of Spotify and Apple Music.
- Box Office Blunder: If you’re looking for a good film to see this weekend, it’s best to avoid “By the Sea” starring Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt. Receiving only a 24% rating on Rotten Tomatoes along with several other one-star reviews from critics, this may be a movie that Jolie and Pitt hope to soon forget.